Job Title: Office Assistant
Department: Town Accountant’s Office
Supervision: Reports to Town Accountant or other designated official
Scheduled Hours: 35 hours per week
Union Affiliation: THEA
Salary:$32,009 - $38,010
Under the general direction of the Town Accountant or his/her designated official, performs a variety of clerical tasks of a moderately complex nature. Primary responsibility will focus on Accounts Payable. The responsibilities and duties listed below are illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- · Provides administrative support to the department.
- · Responds to telephone and in-person inquiries on varied issues. Provides service to other departments, vendors, and the general public; explains process and procedures as necessary.
- · Responsible for all aspects of the department’s accounts payable process; prepares vouchers and purchase orders, inputs invoices into the Town’s financial accounting system, processes payments.
- · Researches and resolves issues to avoid duplicate, misapplied and incorrect payments; voids and reissues vendor checks; verifies and corrects work before posting to the general ledger.
- · Requests and maintains W9’s; sets up new vendors, maintains vendor files and invoice files. Ensures accurate entry of all vendor invoices, expense reports, journal entries.
- · Reviews compliance of contracts, monitoring of vendor invoices for 1099 reporting; prepares reports of the operating budgets for the department.
- · Serves as backup for payroll submission.
- · Assists the Department Head in completing required reports and special projects by compiling and verifying the accuracy of data; prepares and provides financial data, history and/or calculations.
- · Attends classes and other Town offered trainings to maintain current knowledge of required equipment and procedures.
- · Performs other duties related to the primary scope of the position as required
Knowledge, Ability and Skill:
- · Excellent customer service, oral and written and interpersonal skills. Typing and computer proficiency.
- · Ability to multi-task, organize, work independently, accomplish tasks and meet deadlines despite frequent interruptions in a fast-paced environment while maintaining attention to detail.
- · Able to maintain strictest degree of confidentiality.
- · Computer proficiency in Microsoft business applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook is required.
- · Working knowledge of Massachusetts General Laws pertaining to Municipal Finance, town government, departmental operations and relationships with other town departments and offices.
- · Thorough knowledge of office procedures, practices and terminology. Thorough knowledge of departmental operations. Familiarity with accounting principles and procedures. Knowledge of the operation of computer software applications
- · Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with staff and the public. Ability to compose correspondence. Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks at one time with frequent interruptions. Analytical ability. Must be able to operate a personal computer and display intermediate to advanced skill when using software programs for word processing, database, spreadsheets and other software as required by the position. Ability to maintain and create spreadsheets and records. Ability to use automated accounting systems. Ability and willingness to learn job-related skills.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
Education, Training and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent with courses in bookkeeping and accounting, or related, Associate’s Degree preferred; minimum of three years’ experience in a municipal setting; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Must have working knowledge of MUNIS.
- Physical Demands:
- The employee operates standard office equipment. Minimum physical effort is required to perform most duties. The employee is required to stand, sit, speak and hear, use hands to operate equipment. Vision requirements include the ability to read documents and use a computer.
- Please submit cover letter with resume by July 13th to: Donna Gaffey, Director of Human Resources,
- 35 Central Street, Stoneham, MA, 02180 or emailed to email@example.com
- The Town of Stoneham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer