REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS FOR TOWN ACCOUNTANT SERVICES
Town of Windsor, MA
1. Objective and Background
The Town of Windsor seeks sealed proposals from qualified firms or individuals to perform Town Accountant Services beginning July 1, 2020, with a contract not to exceed three years. The Town of Windsor is located in Berkshire County, with a population of approximately 880. Our annual operating budget is approximately $2M. Windsor is part of the Central Berkshire Regional School District, as such it does not have direct responsibility for accounting of a school budget. The Town actively applies for and secures grant funding for a variety of purposes.
Questions regarding this solicitation must be made in writing only and be sent to Kim Tobin, Select Board Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than five working days prior to the bid opening. Proposals will be received until 5pm Monday, April 6, 2019, sent to Madeline Scully, Town Clerk, 1890 Route 9, Windsor, MA 01270, at which time they will be opened and logged. All envelopes must be clearing marked, “Bid for Town Accountant Services”.
A complete copy of the specifications can be obtained by email to email@example.com or found on the Town’s website at www.windsormass.com. The Town reserves the right to reject any and all proposals or waive minor omissions if it is in the best interest of the Town to do so. Late proposals will not be accepted. All proposals shall be held open to acceptance for thirty (30) days from opening.
2. Scope of Services:
The Town anticipates the following required services including, but is not limited to:
- · Knowledge of municipal accounting principles and practices and budgetary functions.
- · Complete understanding of applicable state and federal laws and their applicability to municipal finance and accounting.
- · Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting and auditing;
- · Working knowledge of municipal accounting financial packages (Softright) and Microsoft Office applications.
- · Responsible for all activities and functions related to the Accounting Department;
- · Oversees the maintenance of comprehensive records for town appropriations, expenditures, revenues and contracts for all town offices.
- · Responsible for maintaining official accounting records and financial reports.
- · Works with the Select Board and Finance Committee in providing data for financial forecasting reports and producing a variety of mandated and/or specialized financial reports.
- · Oversee the Softright Package; maintains records, making adjustments and corrections as necessary; balances and posts reports generated by town departments to interface with the General Ledger System; audits bi-weekly, monthly, and annual financial reports by the line item, department and funds; generates related reports as required.
- · Maintains the chart of accounts and revenue code types; works with all town departments to create special grant accounts and departmental receipt codes and source document forms.
- · Works directly with the Finance Committee in the development of the annual operating and capital budgets; assists all town Boards and departments in budget preparation and management.
- · Administers all aspects of accounts payable in accordance with federal and state laws and/or town bylaws.
- · Establishes guidelines and procedures for the processing of bills, payrolls, and other financial materials, and developing and implementing financial control procedures.
- · Generates and distributes budget analysis financial statements regularly to town departments and participates in investigation and reconciliation of irregularities in accounts of any municipal departments.
- · Works with Treasurer/Collector’s personnel in reconciling cash accounts and all accounts’ receivable (real estate, personal property, motor vehicle excise tax, etc.); prepares internal reports and reports which are sent to the state.
- · Professionally works with key stakeholders, including by not limited to federal and state agencies, town departments, and town committees in accounting and budgetary matters, including grants.
- · All related duties as required or directed by the Select Board.
3. Other Requirements
- · Respondents must possess Massachusetts municipal accounting experience, preferably as a certified Massachusetts Governmental Accountant designated through the MA Municipal Auditors and Accountant's Association.
- · The successful respondent must uphold and adhere to with duties and responsibilities as outlined in Massachusetts General Law.
- · Proficiency in municipal software systems, with preference given to applicants with Softright experience.
- · One day of service per week, with timely response via email throughout week It is expected that the work hours will approximately 8-10 hours a week in a given week. Warrants are processed bi-weekly. Work in non-warrant weeks can be performed remotely.
- · The quote provided should be inclusive of all costs per hour including travel if applicable.
4. Fees and Expenses
The Town is committed to containing costs and wishes to understand the basis of proposed fees and expenses. Any accountant wishing to be considered may submit with its application alternative proposals to the traditional annual rate arrangement. For example, a firm may propose a fixed retainer for a specified scope of services with an hourly rate for work outside the established scope of services, or a fixed cost for a set number of hours per month. If a minimum annual contract is proposed, define what would be included in such an arrangement. Proposers should feel free to be creative in this regard so long as the proposal is workable and reasonable.
For each similarly sized town you currently provide service to, list the contract cost, with an explanation for any substantial differences from current quote.
5. Application Details
- · Deadline for receipt is Monday, April 6, 2020 at 6pm
- · Three (3) complete copies of the proposal.
- · Proposals must contain the legal name of the firm or individual.
- · Submittals must include the following:
- . Name, address and contact number of principal accountant and contact person for work.
- . Statement of experience and understanding of scope of work, including resumes of all personnel involved.
- . Evidence of sufficient prior municipal experience with preference given to those of similar size and scope to the Town of Windsor.
- . References and contact information from prior clients.
- . Monthly rate and/or any other alternate financial models.
Selection of Proposer will be based on the following:
- • Most qualified and responsible accountant/firm best able to meet the requirements of this Request for Proposal, while providing the best cost.
- • Firms experience and understanding of scope of work, as demonstrated in proposal.
- • Expertise and qualifications of all personnel involved.
- • Applicants meeting preferred qualifications will be weighted more favorably than those that do not.
- • Prior Massachusetts municipal experience, with preference given to those of similar size and scope to the Town of Windsor.
- • References from prior clients