Somerville is a city that upholds progressive principles for both employees and residents alike. If you are looking for a culture that embraces innovation, empowerment, and collaborative involvement, Somerville not only embraces these talents, but encourages them. Creative, hands on collaboration with passionate dedication are at the core of the City’s workplace culture. Challenging and fast paced, Somerville also offers a generous benefits package that embodies a strong work life balance. Not only is it a “Model City”, as termed by The Boston Globe, but it is also a model employer.
Statement of Duties
The Manager of Accounts Payable is responsible for oversight of the preparation, audit, and balancing of the City’s weekly vendor warrant. Develops goals, objectives, written policies, and internal controls for the accounts payable function.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- · Perform professional accounts payable accounting and auditing work in accordance with Federal and Massachusetts General Laws and the standards and regulations of the Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB), GAAP for Governments, and the Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR). Work requires the application of accounting knowledge and the ability to resolve complex financial, operational, and procedural problems.
- · Oversee preparation, audit and balancing of the City’s weekly vendor warrant. Process the weekly warrant and special warrants as necessary.
- · Develop, implement and maintain systems, procedures and policies, including accounts payable functions to ensure adherence to city, state, and industry wide standards and regulations.
- · Supervise/train Auditing staff in proper accounts payable procedures, responsible for maintaining office workflow and transaction records. Ensure that accounts payable clerks review invoices for appropriate general ledger coding.
- · Train staff city-wide in Auditing policies and procedures and adherence to MA general laws regarding accounts payable. Interact with department heads and clerks to instruct, guide, and assist them in all accounts payable matters.
- · Responsible for oversight of the input, auditing, balancing, and generating of the City’s weekly vendor warrant.
- · Audit and process for payment all accounts payable against authorized purchase orders and executed city contracts; review city contracts for compliance; ensure the integrity of all transactions; ensure that all disbursements of funds are conducted in accordance with Massachusetts General Law and city ordinances; ensure that vendor invoices are verified; ensure that vendors are paid timely and accurately.
- · Responsible for running the warrant on the automated accounting system. Responsible for balancing the warrant. Balance accounts payable by fund. Reconcile accounts payable transactions to the balance sheet on a weekly basis.
- · Responsible for filing and maintaining all accounts payable reports generated in the warrant process.
- · Manage the City’s Procurement Card Program in conjunction with the City Treasurer.
- · Prepare Daily Requisition Report for City Auditor.
- · Analyze, resolve and answer complex or difficult problems presented by subordinates, departmental staff, or vendors.
- · Develop and maintain record retention policy for all Auditing Department records.
- · Maintain and ensure accuracy of City’s vendor file, including Federal Identification Numbers, for tax reporting.
- · Issue 1099s and prepare electronic file for the I.R.S.
- Provide outside Audit Firm with accounts payable documentation in the conduct of the Annual Audit.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the City Auditor.
Education and Experience
Graduate of a four year college with Bachelor’s degree in an accounting, business, or finance related field and a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in accounts payable activities; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Three (3) years’ experience supervising accounts payable activities preferred.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skill
Knowledge: Through knowledge of the principles and practices of accounts payable activities including: accounts payable internal controls; accounts payables procedures and development of procedures; proper invoice handling; systems flow between requisitioning department, Purchasing, and Accounts Payable; payment timing; exception and rush processing; master vendor file maintenance; processing of 1099’s; and electronic data interchange. Knowledge of automated accounting software; computer operations; understanding of programming principles. Thorough knowledge of PC based spreadsheets and word processing. Working knowledge of the municipal finance laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Federal and Massachusetts General Laws and the standards and regulations of the Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB), GAAP for Governments, and the Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR). Work requires the application of accounting knowledge and the ability to resolve complex financial, operational, and procedural problems.
Ability: Ability to effectively motivate and manage staff, ability to handle problems and emergencies effectively; ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing; ability to operate a computer; ability to maintain confidential information; Ability to develop management reports form the automated accounting software and PC based applications; able to work under pressure and be able to handle multiple tasks and prioritize work to meet critical deadlines; ability to work independently or with little supervision ability to maintain, manage, and organize records; ability to deal appropriately with a variety of City departments and employees, City officials and members of the general public.
Skill: Strong accounts payable skills; strong supervisory skills.
The work environment involves everyday discomforts typical of offices, with occasional exposure to outside elements. Noise or physical surroundings may be distracting, but conditions are generally not unpleasant. Employee may be required to work beyond normal business hours in response to attend evening meetings or complete work assignments.
Physical and Mental Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential functions.
Little or no physical demands are required to perform the work. Work effort principally involves sitting to perform work tasks, with intermittent periods of stooping, walking, and standing. There may also be some occasional lifting of objects such as books, set up of events, office equipment and computer paper (up to 30 lbs.)
Duties are largely mental rather than physical, but the job may occasionally require minimal motor skills for activities such as moving objects, operating a telephone system, computer and/or most other office equipment, typing and/or word processing, filing, and sorting.
Visual demands require constantly reading documents for general understanding and analytical purposes.
Open Until Filled. Send your resume and cover letter to:
City Hall Personnel Office
93 Highland Avenue
Somerville MA 02143
City of Somerville residents are especially encouraged to apply.
The City of Somerville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability or any other protected category. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Auxiliary aids and services, written materials in alternative formats, and reasonable modifications in policies and procedures will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities free of charge, upon request.
Hours: Full Time
Salary: $91,800 per year plus benefits